Friday, November 17, 2006

MOVIE: Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan


Yesterday after work and before going to the fundraiser dinner, I went to go see Borat at the Oaks.

I've been wanting to watch the movie for a couple of weeks now. It has been getting strong positive review from critics, and its word-of-mouth reviews were also very good. It's been doing very well at the box office too, and it looked like a "very different" film.

All these expectations were met.

The film was very entertaining. It had a style of its own, exhibiting a unique auteurship not often found nowadays. I appreciated that very much. Another thing I appreciated was the fact that it was both very random (e.g. ice cream truck + black bear)...yet overall very cohesive. This faux-documentary was hyper-edited in the way successful reality tv shows are, and I could see why some of unsuspecting film participants would want to try to take the film producers to court, but I also can't believe they said some of the things that they did.

Anyways, I was affected. I found myself saying "My name is Borrr-at" over and over and over again... a child-like naivety escape much needed during this super-sized work week.

0 comment(s):