Wednesday, October 31, 2007

DISNEY RACE: Tower of Terror 13K

This past weekend, my older sister came to visit, and we did Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party on Friday night, then Animal Kingdom the next morning, followed by Epcot's Food & Wine Festival that afternoon and the Tower of Terror 13K Saturday night. I tend to procrastinate blogging these large events, and then leave it to her to fill them in (Cindy please copy).

For my part, I'd like to contribute the following:

Cindy and I made it into a FloridaToday article about the race:

Fun runs become more accessible
BY LEE NESSEL


". . . I had mentioned the Tower of Terror race (to my sister), and once she heard 'glow-in-the-dark race shirt,' she went online, registered for the race and bought a plane ticket (from the Baltimore area)," said Cedric Ching of Melbourne. "It was the glow-in-the-dark T-shirt that sealed the deal with my sister."
I was expecting tech shirts that were completely glow-in-the-dark, but the shirts we got weren't bad.

That article was pre-race. Post-race, I was searching for pics/news of one of the runners who was in costume, and I came across this, from Confessions of a Terror of Tower 13K Volunteer:
"We cheered for the runners still on the course for a bit and then went to ride the Rockin Roller Coaster... where the guy dressed as a Spartan was told he couldn't ride because he wasn't wearing enough clothing!! The ride operator said "this is a family park and someone may be offended"... um, he just ran through the park like that! Oh well."
Yeah, you better believe that I'll be grabbing his race photos and posting them once they're available.

Not getting as many hits as I hoped, I broadened my search to "Tower of Terror 13K costumes" and happened to find a message board posting by someone I know.

He had dressed up as THE Hollywood Tower. You can imagine that a LOT of people wanted their picture taken with him (our picture with him is to-be-developed). In his posting, he mentions that he was recognized by the control staff and given special treatment. Here's the evidence:


That's Jeffrey

Yeah, now we know that dressing up as ToT bellmen is not enough...

Anyways, the race wasn't perfect, but it was still a lot of fun. I'm definitely glad to have been part of the inaugural and to have been able to share the experience with my sister and my friend.

Costumes rule!

0 comment(s):