Friday, May 16, 2008

EVENT: SpaceCoastRunners Awards Dinner

Friday night, the Space Coast Runners held their annual Runner-of-the-Year awards celebration. This year, the Board decided to make it a dinner instead of the picnic it had been for the past few years: in part for scheduling reasons, but also it was figured that having it indoors would be more manageable.

Anyways, the dinner awards ceremony was at 7pm at Gleason Park in Indian Harbour Beach, a more central location. I got there straight from work, so I was a couple hours early. I took the opportunity to walk around the park -- absolutely beautiful and an amazing discovery like with the Viera Wetlands Park but different. I was dead tired, so I napped in the car for maybe 30 minutes before I got back out and the room was ready for us to go in and decorate.

I wasn't under any pressure to take great great pictures since I wasn't the "official" photographer having told the Board that I wouldn't be able to turn around the photos as quickly as I'd like. Still, I felt like I could've eased up a bit more. Anyways, the ceremony went well. My favorite part was with the older age groups -- after being called up to receive his trophy, one guy jokingly asked "Where's my seat?" and another guy said that he felt like all alone like the Maytag repairman.

Anyways, afterwards we all cleaned up -- stacking chairs, breaking down tables, sweeping. And for me, there's just something satisfying about manual labor; I don't know why I like it so much. It was near late after all was done, and I headed home for a few hours of sleep before I had to wake up and catch an MCO planeto DC for the Marine Corps Historic Half. So it was a busy evening. I could've used more rest, but it felt good to wrap up the space coast's running season.

Here are some photos from pre-dinner and dinner:



SCR ROY Series T-Shirt ContestExtra Race Shirts for SaleThe SCR Youth Series Display
SCR ROY TrophiesTitusville Racing Series TrophiesRan-Every-ROY-Race TrophiesSCR Youth Series Trophies
The 2008 Runner-of-the-Year Series Overall winners:
Mike Wasson and Jessica Crate

The 2008 Golden Shoe recipient:
Barbara LintonThe 2008 SCR Hall of Fame inductee:
Mary RambaThe 2008 SCR Scholarship recipients:
Kirsten Clark from Space Coast HS, and
Andrew Kramer from Astronaut HSThe SCR Youth Series Winners:

0 comment(s):