Wednesday, September 10, 2008

TOASTMASTERS: Humorous Speech Contest

Today our Toastmasters club had its Humorous Speech Contest, and I brought chicken fried rice. I made it the night before -- took me the time I got home to the time I went to bed (s'all good cause I watched many episodes of Mad Men all while). Anyways, I put in scrambled eggs, carrots, green peas, corn, and chicken... plus the salt, pepper, oil, and soy sauce. I think I did good cooking it in batches and mixing a soy-sauced batch with some plain rice. I cooked the chicken separately and then folded it.

[note: I cooked a lot more chicken than this.]

I brought a pan of it to the office this morning, and reheated it in the microwave in square-casserole-dish portions, and I think it turned out well. Everyone at the contest tried some and I got some compliments. Next time, I really should use Jasmine rice instead of the Mahatma rice.

Anyways, today I was the Contest Master. I projected my voice very well and kept my nervousness in check though I had a number of small, awkward gestures, and I kept close to the script. I thought it was a very good contest -- we had three very capable contestants, who spoke about eating habits, Star Wars re-writes, and canine intelligence. The one about Star Wars won.

I've realized from the experience that there is a lot of work behind the scenes, and I totally appreciate my VPE, who's done fantastic work with both of the contests this season and who has been great in getting speaking positions filled each week. I signed up to speak in two weeks, so we'll see how that one will go (I Majorly froze during my last time up).

-----
Anyways, it was quite overcast when I left the office, and once I got home, I quickly got changed and headed outside to mow the lawn. And it was just in time. It started raining lightly after I finished edging the lawn.

Whew!

The rain ended quickly, and I went out and helped neighbors with edging and bug treatments (it really feels good to help others), then it was in for a shower and some food.

I watched another episode of Mad Men while I washed dishes, and now I'm in front of the computer catching up on last night's two-hours-worth of Wipeout... wow, Christian Readyhoff is quite the eye-candy... and sweet too.


Jill Wagner:So, Christian, here we are. There's 8 of you left. Who do you think is your biggest competition?

Christian Readyhoff: The Cheerleader.

J: You don't mind being beat by a girl?

C: I love getting beat by girls.

J: Oh Christian.


Anyways, I finished beer #1, and I think it's time for some Publix Toffee Candy Crunch frozen yogurt. Have a great night! I hope to get to bed soon.

0 comment(s):