Friday, September 12, 2008

WORK: Racquetball

[Yeah, wasn't sure how to categorize this one.]

After work on our work non-work Friday, a couple guys from the office and I went to the gym to play racquetball.

It's been double-digits-number of years since I've played -- then, I was in top form yet still managed to get hit squarely between the eyes and between the... legs... by a girl. But tonight there were no girls -- just me and the guys.

First, it was me versus "Charles the 2nd". We played only a few points before I was over my knees trying to catch my breath. I was also finding it difficult to adjust from the big head of a tennis racket to what felt like a ping pong paddle. This first game was no contest. Charles won 21-7.

Next was Jordan versus his son Alex. Charles and I couldn't tell what was going on and it looked like they were just about even, but turns out Alex won handily.

Next I played Jordan. We were more on the same level, and I took it 21-17.

Charles then played Alex and won with a commanding 21-6.

And lastly, Charles and I had a rematch. By then, I had switched over to using his spare racket (which had a larger face) and had gotten used to serving and to moving around the court. I jumped out to an early lead which surprised Charles. He caught up but I jumped out again and took the match with a final score of 21-19. I know that I'm not all that consistent in these skill-sports, but I think that all I really needed to be decent was just to warm up.

Anyways, it was a fun and healthy evening. I will have to wait until the turn of the year, and switch over to the HealthFirst health plan before I get back to the racquetball courts.

Here are some of the evening's pics:

0 comment(s):