Sunday, January 28, 2007

MOVIE: Letters From Iwo Jima


Okay. Anyone who knows me knows that I don't usually do what I'd say I'd do when it domes to something that only involves myself -- I tend to break my own word to myself... yeah, it's an issue of self-control... self-control.

In this evening's case, my "no more movies for this weekend" was broken by the opportunity to watch the 7:55p The Last King of Scotland or the 6:55p Letters From Iwo Jima at the AMC Pleasure Island. It was suggested that I go see TLKoS since it was already 7p by the time the hugging was finished, but I went to see LFIJ instead... because 1) I figured that both were about war, 2) LFIJ was nominated for more Academy Awards, 3) LFIJ would complete my viewing of all the Best Picture nominees, and 4) I didn't want to wait 30 minutes plus previews for a movie to start.

So, the movie was about 10 minutes in, and I sat in just any empty seat (it was pretty crowded... so yeah, I was "That" guy... what? there weren't any room to give for "courtesy seats").

I was going to try to go into a deep, detailed analysis of the movie, but it's late and there's work tomorrow. So, what can I say about the movie? I enjoyed it. I thought it was a really good film. Its cinematography was beautiful. And the screenplay was both compelling and meaningful - it told the tale of the invasion from the "other" perspective... it got personal with all the characters, and they felt "real". Yeah, there was a LOT of killing (plus I didn't realize how much suicide there was by the Japanese troops), and I've had to cover my ears/eyes again a number of times. Still, it wasn't as blatant as in most of the other movies I've seen this weekend. Anyways, last thing about the movie I want to say, as far as the viewing goes, is that Clint Eastwood is the new Steven Spielberg. There.

Anyways, after the movie, I walked over to Wolfgang Puck's restaurant and ordered some Pumpkin Ravioli from their Express menu. Here's a picture:

I had already disobeyed orders to first eat then see TLKoS, so after I spied the ravioli on the menu I just had to go to Puck's. The ravioli reminds me of the Butternut Squash ravioli that my older sister buys from BJ's. Reminds me of eating them in her basement on the wooden tv trays watching whatever on the tv with the bulldogs running around. Good memories. Good memories.

Anyways, I miss the doggies! But not as much tonight because I got to hug my guy. And I really needed that, because it looks like it's going to be a really long week -- I've got after-work plans for every day this week (OMG, probably a good thing though).

Okay, still a couple more things to do before bed. So g'night.

0 comment(s):