Wednesday, January 23, 2008

MOVIE: Atonement


[NOTE: the lyrics of "Elegy for Dunkirk" can be found at the end of this post.]

Last night I went to go see Atonement at Rave Motion Pictures. I went after work to pick up a ticket for the 7:10p, then went back home for dinner. I think that I would've put it off had I not gotten the ticket ahead of time... and would've just kept putting it off, putting it off. I felt the need to watch it because it won the Golden Globe for Best Motion Picture Drama and had just picked up 7 Oscar nods.

I really liked the movie. At dinner tonight (Melting Pot with my friend Chuck), I spoiled the entire movie to him (because he said that he wasn't going to watch it) -- I told him that I really liked how they set up the story in the first act -- the clever presentation of events. I also told him that I had some issue with the slow second act. I also told him the ending. And Chuck got more and more interested and said that he might just go see it now anyways.

I think that I fed off some of his energy, and I'm liking the movie more and more now. I can see how it managed all of the oscar nods with all the talk of No Country For Old Men vs. There Will Be Blood (saw it and will see it on Friday, respectively). Especially notable was Atonement's score by Dario Marianelli... outstanding! So I've posted a couple YouTubes of samples from its soundtrack and then the full version of "♫ Elegy for Dunkirk", which is so powerful.

Anyways, I still have TWBB & Michael Clayton before I officially choose my Best Picture from the nominees. The hunt for nominated films is ON! :)

Atonement Soundtrack - 1st Part


Atonement Soundtrack - 2nd Part

"Elegy for Dunkirk"

In "Elegy for Dunkirk", the song that the soldiers can be heard singing is called "Whittier Hymn".

Lyrics:
Dear Lord and Father of mankind,
Forgive our foolish ways!
Re-clothe us in our rightful mind,
In purer lives thy service find,
In deeper reverence praise.
In deeper reverence praise.

In simple trust like theirs who heard,
Beside the Syrian sea,
The gracious calling of the Lord,
Let us, like them, without a word
Rise up and follow thee.
Rise up and follow thee.

O Sabbath rest by Galilee!
O calm of hills above,
Where Jesus knelt to share with thee
The silence of eternity,
Interpreted by love!
Interpreted by love!

Drop thy still dews of quietness,
Till all our strivings cease;
Take from our souls the strain and stress,
And let our ordered lives confess
The beauty of thy peace.
The beauty of thy peace.

Breathe through the heats of our desire
Thy coolness and thy balm;
Let sense be dumb, let flesh retire;
Speak through the earthquake, wind, and fire,
O still small voice of calm!
O still small voice of calm!

7 comment(s):

Anonymous said...

Atonement was a decent flick, looks and feels a lot like Pride and Prejudice... come to think of it, both movies have the same director, leading lady, both are based on books and both take place in England

Anonymous said...

Although it may seem the same as Pride and Prejudice, it shows that war can change one person forever. Who they love, and who they once were. So as pride and prejudice shines out a hidden love, yes Atonement holds the same, it shows more passion than any other love story.

Anonymous said...

While it may talk about war, to me, it was really about how one persons lie could ultimately shape so many lives and what a lie can ultimately cost its victims and creators.

Anonymous said...

what will always amaze me is the scene that occurs in Dunkirk. you may not notice it but it goes on for 5 minutes. Imagine that, with 1000's of extras , a 5 minute long shot. I think that sums up the brilliance of the film

Iam said...

it was really about how one persons lie could ultimately shape so many lives

I'd stick to hidden love, and how sometimes could it do more harm than good

Anonymous said...

Indeed, Elegy for Dunkirk is so powerfull! I can't stop listening to it... Mr. Marianelli at its best.

Anonymous said...

quite interesting read. I would love to follow you on twitter.