Friday, March 28, 2008

MOVIE: Horton Hears A Who


This evening, I set off seven bug bombs at the house and then had to find something to do for a couple hours... Fourth movie of the day! It was back to Rave.

I had initially stayed away from Dr. Seuss's Horton Hears A Who because I wasn't sure if I could handle hearing Jim Carrey and Steve Corell without my head going to mush, but I decided to give Horton a chance because the movie was 79% fresh at rottentomatoes.

The movie had just started as I walked into the theatre, and I was immediately impressed, first by the quality of the animation -- very vibrant, crisp, and clear -- then by the handling of the story -- I like their incorporation of 2-D moments and the fact that there wasn't a point in the movie that I felt tired. And the aforementioned voice concerns... they were unfounded -- both actors did a good job not being too "out there" or unrelatable.

However, I did find Carol Burnett's Kangaroo character to be a little too much, as in "Why is she so angry?", but the directors (Jimmy Hayward & Steve Martino) and screenwriters (Ken Daurio & Cinco Paul) handled the ending well, and all is forgiven.

And I'd recommend this film to friends of all ages. It was a nice escape and a good fit.

I walked around the Avenue before heading home. It was nice to have a place to just take a peaceful walk.

It was a good Melbourne day.

1 comment(s):

Anonymous said...

Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who is classic, i forgot how much that guy packed into such simple storylines... they didn't add much to the original story either except for the usual Jim Carreyisms.