Thursday, March 13, 2008

MOVIE: The Host (Gwoemul)

[This entry is ATF.]


I rented The Host from the library. I wanted to see it when it came to the Enzian but never made it over to Orlando in time. I just remembered that it had good reviews, so I took the opportunity and wasn't disappointed.

I suck at giving plot summaries, so here's one I modified one found on imdb:

In 2000, the American military base of Yongson releases toxic chemicals in the drain to the Han River under the direct order of an arrogant coroner. Six years later, a mutant creature leaves the water and attacks people on the side of the river. A young girl Park Hyun-seo is carried by the creature and vanishes in the river. While grieving her loss, her slow father Park Gang-du; her grandfather and owner of a bar-kiosk nearby the river Park Hie-bong; her aunt and archery medalist Park Nam-Joo; and her graduated unemployed uncle Park Nam-il are sent with all the people that had contact with the monster to quarantine. During the night, Gang-du receives a phone call from his Hyun-seo, and the Park family joins forces trying to find and rescue her.
I thought that the movie had a good mix of intensity and humor, suspense and heart. The story and visual effects were both well-executed, and it was a pleasure to watch; it engulfed me. I'd definitely recommend it for a late-night showing.

:)

0 comment(s):