Wednesday, April 02, 2008

MOVIE: The Lives of Others (Das Leben der Anderen)

During the time when Germany was divided, the East German Ministry for State Security -- commonly known as the Stasi -- was in the practice of monitoring its citizens. The Lives of Others is a story of a Stasi agent who conducts one such surveillance on a writer and his lover, and finds himself becoming increasingly absorbed in their lives.

Going into it, I had high expectations knowing that it won the 2006 Best Foreign Language Film Academy Award. It wasn't what I expected, but it comparably succeeded for other reasons -- meaning, I was expecting more "action" action, but what I found was a fine attention to detail and an historical significance/importance that surprised and impressed me. The movie was supported supported by fine acting, a solid script, and an authentic feel. The Lives of Others was a fine film and deserving of its honors.

0 comment(s):