Saturday, December 13, 2008

MOVIE: Milk (and FOOD: Buca di Beppo)

[This entry is ATF.]

I went to go see Milk on its first day of release in Orlando, the 3:15pm showing at the Enzian. There was a showing of the Academy Award-winning documentary "The Times of Harvey Milk" right before, but I couldn't make it because of the race that morning. Anyways, I reserved my ticket online and when I got there, I saw a number of people I knew from OFRW and from around town. The feeling of family/community was definitely there.

It was a packed house and it was nice to be amongst some familiar older gays who knew more about the history. But I don't think that was a big obstacle for someone like me. The movie had an incredible amount of foresight as it was a close parallel to the recent struggles of the horrible CA Proposition 8 and FL Amendment 2. When Anita Bryant first appeared on screen, there were boos from the crowd.

I saw the movie as putting much of the blame of bigotry on the shoulders of the ultra-religious, which I somewhat agree with but also felt uncomfortable about. I do realize though that the death of Harvey Milk wasn't so much about his sexual orientation as it was about jealousy of another person's coming into influence.

As stated, this entry is ATF. With some perspective, I do believe that the movie should warrant a number of Oscar nods (pic, dir, act, sup act, screenplay) but I think that the momentum it needs to win is fading quickly with the release of the wrestler, doubt, and benjamin button just around the corner. I afraid that discrimination towards gays is becoming another issue that the public is going to be complacent with. Hopefully my predictions for the Oscar nominations are correct and we'll have another wave of awareness.


-----
FOOD: Buca di Beppo, Maitland, FL

Anyways, after the movie, I went with David, his brother Frank, and John & Michael ('&' because they're partnered) to Buca di Beppo. I hadn't been to a BdB in many many years, and it was a nice return.


The inside was cozily claustrophobic with Many borderline-inappropriate adornments.
The Pope table

A look at the men's bathroom

It was definitely a family-friendly restaurant, though $20/person for an family order of Spaghetti with Meatballs and a couple chicken dishes would make me consider it not so wallet-friendly.
At least we can count on getting big balls.

Still, it was good company and perhaps next time we can just cook something up at the house.
Hey Cindy, Here's my John & Michael (r,l)

:)

0 comment(s):