Sunday, June 21, 2009

DISNEY: Newly-Refurbished McDonald's

On Friday, June 19th, 2009, I headed over to Disney's Animal Kingdom to do the park with my favorite Disney blogger. I left the house early -- early enough to make a quick stop by the newly-refurbished McDonald's on West Buena Vista Drive.

The outside of the building used to feature a brightly-colored cast of old-school Happy Meal food-puppet characters:

[a couple more, closer-up photos can be found HERE]

Now, the exterior is a simpler, more contemporary framework features people playing sports/being active -- football, swimming, soccer, etc. This is probably to promote the image of a healthier lifestyle.

Although I've passed this McDonalds many times on my way to/from DAK, I've only stopped by it once before, so I don't remember what the interior looked like. What I can say is that I really like what I saw inside this time -- very modern, fresh and clean.

The active-lifestyle motif was carried inside with more images, around and above, of people sailing, surfing, rock-climbing, etc. And to balance all this energy, bamboo prints were used both along the back wall and as the design for the windows (see seating pic further below).

It also looked like bamboo was used for the various structures in the dining area; the design of the pieces reminded me of my brother's architecture lab in college.

The hanging light elements were also very modern, as were the selection of seating options.

(which also had kids in mind)
I loved the variety.

Their color scheme was very primary with a muted eco-conscious sheen, which went well with the wood and metal structures. It was like Ikea except without any of the tackiness.

Even the furniture outside, with the cushioned wicker chairs and solid short tables, corresponded with the pieces inside.

I guess I should mention something about the actual food service area.

The beverage and accessories station was an island between the dining area and the counter. This left the area where customers place their order to be open and clear. And I think that all of the changes to the look and feel of the shop has also carried over onto their employees because my cashier was absolutely charming.

Anyways, I'm glad to see McDonald's adapting to the times, and I feel that the refurbishment was a success and a breath of fresh air.

0 comment(s):