Sunday, August 09, 2009

MOVIE: (500) Days of Summer

Having taken a Melbourne weekend and having just mowed the lawn, I treated myself to another matinee -- this time (500) Days of Summer (Imdb|RT).
...
The narrator informs the audience at the start that the film is not a love story, but is a story about love. This is a good and true assessment, and the depiction isn't always roses and happy blue birds. It'd be totally unfair to compare the movie to P.S. I Love You because no one dies, but there is some dwelling. Luckily the depression never becomes too much because of the creativity in story-telling (jumping back-and-forth between times with a helpful running counter).

The movie had a great style -- cinematography, screenplay, and especially music -- which is evidence of a lot thought and true heart. And the acting was also fantastic with Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Tom and Zooey Deschanel as Summer. Everything about the film just drew me into the city, and it was nice to experience a variety of spaces.

I am really glad that I went to see this. I went with Teresa who also really enjoyed the film. I was surprised that she had even heard of this movie; apparently she heard good things from a co-worker. Hopefully the good word will continue to spread. I know I'll be emailing my brother about this one.

Trailer:


Stills:

0 comment(s):