Thursday, July 16, 2009

VIDEO: 2009 Emmy Nominations for "Outstanding Commercial"

Today, the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences announced the nominees for the 61st Primetime Emmy Awards. The winners will be announced on Sunday, September 20, 2009 with Neil Patrick Harris hosting. The show will air on CBS from Los Angeles' Nokia Theater.

I could try to give commentary about all the Comedy/Drama nominees, but I don't have the time or energy, so instead, I'll continue my short tradition of posting the contenders for the category of "Outstanding Commercial".

But first, here's last year's winner:

Swear Jar - Bud Light
Hungry Man, Production Company
DDB Chicago, Ad Agency



And now for this year's nominees...

...for Outstanding Commercial

Airport Lounge - Amex/Platinum Card
Hungry Man, Production Company
Ogilvy and Mather, Ad Agency


Alec In Huluwood - Hulu
Crispin Porter + Bogusky, Ad Agency


Even though I'm a big fan of 30 Rock, I just don't find either the Amex or Hulu commercials entertaining in the least bit. It's like watching Baby Mama... kinda painful.

Bottled Courage - Nike
@radical media, Production Company
Wieden & Kennedy, Ad Agency


I know that song! "All These Things That I've Done" by The Killers. It really is inspirational.

Circus - Anheuser-Busch Budweiser
DDB Chicago, Ad Company
PYTKA, Production Agency


I find any of the beer commercials with the horses to be very hokey. Like watching America's Funniest Home Videos where they make up commentary for pets.

Heist - Coca-Cola
Wieden + Kennedy, Ad Company
Psyop, Production Company


This is a beautiful commercial -- reminded me of the fantasy land of Narnia or Pan's Labyrinth. Nice.

Magazine Buyer - Anheuser-Busch Bud Light
DDB Chicago, Ad Company
Tool of North America, Production Company


You know I love the inappropriate stuff. I found the Asian shop-owners... hilarious especially when she's waving that thing in the air. This commercial is this year's Swear Jar.

Tips - Career Builder
MJZ, Production Company


I also love these Career Builder commercials. They are some that many can empathize with... like those cute Dilbert comic strips.

Wedding - Sprint Nextel
O Positive, Production Company
Goodby, Silverstein & Partners, Ad Company


Innocent enough, though I would've preferred a different stunt groom (this one's too smiley).

Anyways, my vote would go to Coca-COla Heist... or to the Sprint Nextel Wedding...

Which one would you choose?
(Leave a comment. *wink wink*)

[For a complete list of nominees, let me refer you to their official nominees page: http://cdn.emmys.tv/awards/2009ptemmys/61stemmys_nomswin.php]

1 comment(s):

Cedric said...

And the winner is Coca-Cola's "Heist"! Woo! :)

http://www.adweek.com/aw/content_display/creative/news/e3i5d1585171477a264de818f740f0cfc04