Thursday, February 28, 2008

CATABLOG: The 22-Hour Parent

[This entry is also WAY ATF.].

[Also, to understand this entry, you'll have to read this just-prior RUN entry].

So the following morning I still had to go to work, but I had wrote an email to co-workers that I was going to be in late because "I'm taking a cat to the vet."

And that is what I did. But first, I had to get him into the carrier.

I tried "baiting" the carrier with food, then I introduced Danger to the equation... tying a string to him in hopes that DC would follow him into the box.


But DC was more interested in the string and was too smarter for my tricks.


But I eventually won.


First thing that happened when I walk into the vet's office... DC escapes! A nurse brings him back, and DC is so tame. I fill out his paperwork, and then we're led into a check-up room.



The nurses basically they take a stool sample from DC and then gave him a couple vaccination shots, saying all-the-while how DC was a very well-behaved cat for letting them do all with no problem.

The vet then came in and examined DC's eyes, lymph nodes, bone structure, coat, vitals, etc... and all were clear if not above average. He mentioned that DC's shiny coat indicated that DC has been getting good nutrition, which makes me believe that he was only recently lost.

After the visit to the vet, I had to drop DC off at the house and then head to work. I tried contacting my friend in Orlando to see if he would take DC in. I just knew that I wasn't going to keep him because I was freakin' out over every. little. thing.

Anyways, I had a hard time concentrating at work... could've just been me worrying about DC's fully-formed front claws meeting my leather furniture (even though he wouldn't) or it could've been the fact that in the past 19 hours, I've run 6 miles and only supplemented myself with three fish-sticks and not much else to drink.

And basically, I was going a little insane trying to find someone to take DC in. I was checking with co-workers, asking friends to check with their co-workers, and then I also called one of the runners who talked me into taking him in in the first place.

I also tried getting in contact with local shelters. One of the volunteer searched the records and didn't find any matching Lost notices, but said that they'd take DC in and hold him for the five days for someone to claim him. It's not what I would've wanted ideally, but I told her that I would be bringing DC over soon.

I left work early and headed home. I felt a sense of the end of my term as a pet-owner and tried to enjoy my last few moments with DC.



Then Teresa, my saving grace, found a co-worker who would take DC tonight. So I quickly packed up everything and headed back into town. Here's DC at her office:


The goodbye was quick, and I gave a brief summary of my experiences to my friend's coworker, who seemed the more-suitable parent. Teresa did very well.

Then I drove over to my own office and caught up on today's hours.

The following morning, I got an email from Teresa. She wrote to say that her co-worker was enjoying DC's company, saying that he was "very playful and people friendly" (Such a good cat). And that he had a picture for her to pass along to me:

Awww...

I'm glad that DC has found a good home.

0 comment(s):